Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry is a British wizarding boarding school teaching the magical arts located in Scotland inside Hogwarts Castle. The castle is in the mountains near a loch. The precise location can never be uncovered because the school is hidden by the most powerful spells possible, and is Unplottable. However, according to Hermione Granger, it is "not far" from Dufftown. The motto of the school is: "Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus", which is Latin for Never tickle a sleeping dragon.
There are approximately a thousand students attending Hogwarts at any given time. Upon arriving at the school, students are Sorted into four houses: Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, and Slytherin based on the qualities and aspirations of the student. Students are rewarded with points for good behavior, quidditch match victories, and correct answers to questions, and points are taken away for wrongdoings. At the end of the year, the House with the most points wins the House Cup.
Established in c. 9th/10th century, Hogwarts is considered one of the finest magical institutions in the wizarding world, though other schools include Beauxbatons Academy of Magic and the Durmstrang Institute. Children with magical abilities may be enrolled at birth and acceptance is confirmed by Owl post at age eleven.
Hogwarts was founded around 990 A.D. by two wizards and two witches: Godric Gryffindor, Helga Hufflepuff, Rowena Ravenclaw, and Salazar Slytherin. They each represented an aspect of wizarding that they wanted to bring out in new students. However, shortly after founding the school, Slytherin had a falling out with the other founders about blood purity. Slytherin wanted to admit only pure-blood students, but the other three founders disagreed. Slytherin left the school, but not before secretly building the Chamber of Secrets. When his own true heir, the Heir of Slytherin, returned to the school, he or she would be able to open the Chamber, unleash a horrible Basilisk, and purge the school of all Muggle-born students.
Early 20th CenturyIn the early part of the 20th century, Tom Riddle (later Lord Voldemort) came to Hogwarts. He was the Heir of Slytherin and he opened the Chamber of Secrets and the Basilisk, which killed a student. Hagrid was blamed. Tom Riddle, after graduation, repeatedly applied for the position of Defence Against the Dark Arts, and was rejected multiple times. He cursed the post.
1997 and BeyondEdit
In May of 1998, the Battle of Hogwarts took place. This battle ended with the death of many on both sides. Thanks to Harry Potter, Lord Voldemort was finally destroyed once and for all, and peace was restored, and Minerva McGonagall returned to her position as Headmistress.
Hogwarts sustained extensive damage during the battle. Multiple areas of the main building and adjacent areas were set on fire or blown up, and the Quidditch pitch was largely destroyed by fire.
- Phineas Nigellus Black
- Dilys Derwent
- Armando Dippet
- Albus Dumbledore
- Dexter Fortescue
- Dolores Umbridge
- Severus Snape
- Minerva McGonagall
- Servilia Crouch
- Professor Septima Vector
- Professor Aurora Sinistra
Care of Magical Creatures
- Professor Silvanus Kettleburn
- Professor Rubeus Hagrid (1993-1995)(1996-????)
- Professor Wilhelmina Grubbly-Plank (1995)
- Professor Filius Flitwick
Defence Against The Dark Arts
- Professor Galatea Merrythought (voldemort era)
- Professor Quirinius Quirrell (1991-1992)
- Professor Gilderoy Lockhart (1992-1993)
- Professor Remus Lupin (1993-1994)
- Barty Crouch, Jr. (impersonating Professor Alastor Moody) (1994-1995)
- Professor Dolores Umbridge (1995-1996)
- Professor Severus Snape (1996-1997)
- Professor Amycus Carrow (Dark Arts) (1997-1998)
- Professor Mylor Silvanus (2017-2018)
- Professor Sybill Trelawney
- Professor Firenze (1995-2002)
History Of Magic
- Professor Cuthbert Binns
- Professor Quirinius Quirrell (1981-1991)
- Professor Charity Burbage (1991-1997)
- Alecto Carrow (1997-1998)
- Professor Justin Finch-Fletchley
- Professor Rabelus King
- Professor Herbert Margolyes
Hogwarts' motto is Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus, meaning "Never tickle a sleeping dragon."
The School Song:
- "Hogwarts, Hogwarts, Hoggy Warty Hogwarts,
- Teach us something please,
- Whether we be old and bald,
- Or young with scabby knees,
- Our heads could do with filling,
- With some interesting stuff,
- For now they're bare and full of air,
- Dead flies and bits of fluff,
- So teach us things worth knowing,
- Bring back what we've forgot,
- Just do your best, we'll do the rest,
- And learn until our brains all rot."